Understanding Hand Poured Candles:
Is There A Difference Between Hand Poured, Hand Crafted, And Artisan Candles?
While it's true that these terms can be used interchangeably, they do have slightly different meanings. So there is a difference between hand poured, hand crafted, and artisan candles - it's all about the process, craftsmanship, and the touch of personalization that goes into each candle.
Hand Poured Candles
Hand poured candles are exactly what their name suggests — candles that are poured by hand. This means that each candle is given individual attention, resulting in a product that can have slight variations and imperfections, adding a unique charm to each piece. Hand pouring allows for more customisation and quality control.
Hand Crafted Candles
Hand crafted candles take the process a step further. Not only are they hand poured, but they also involve additional steps that are done manually. This could include things like custom labels placed by hand, specialized packing etc.
Artisan candles are the epitome of craftsmanship in candle making. They are typically made by skilled craftspeople who have honed their craft over years. These candles are not mass-produced but made in small batches to ensure the highest quality. The materials used in artisan candles are often premium, including natural wax like coconut, soy or beeswax, high-quality oils for fragrance, and lead-free wick, or wood wicks.
However since they are so very similar , we do tend to use them interchangeably.
What Are The Benefits of Hand Poured?
Hand poured candles offer a host of benefits that make them a desirable choice for many candle lovers. Here's why you might want to consider choosing handpoured candles for your home or as thoughtful gifts.
Unique and Personalized
Each hand poured candle is unique, with subtle variations that add character and charm. This makes each candle a one-of-a-kind piece, which can be a delightful aspect for those who appreciate individuality and personalization.
Handpoured candles often use high-quality natural waxes. These natural materials are typically cleaner burning than the paraffin wax used in many mass-produced candles, meaning they produce less soot and are less likely to trigger allergies.
Many candles that are poured by hand use premium essential oils or high-quality fragrance oils for scent. These can provide a more potent and realistic scent throw compared to cheaper fragrances. Plus, because these candles are poured in small batches, the fragrance is usually better preserved.
Longer Burning Time
Due to the quality of the wax and wicks used, hand poured candles often burn longer than factory-made ones. This not only gives you more value for your money but also allows you to enjoy the soothing ambiance and lovely fragrance for an extended period.
Supports Small Businesses
When you buy hand poured candles, you're often supporting small businesses and independent artisans. This not only helps local economies but also promotes the continuation of traditional crafting techniques.
Hand poured candles are typically more eco-friendly than their mass-produced counterparts. They're made in smaller quantities, which reduces energy consumption. Plus, the use of natural, biodegradable materials minimizes their environmental impact.
So, as you can see a hand-poured candle offers a range of benefits from their unique, personalized nature to their environmental friendliness. Their superior quality and craftsmanship make them a worthy addition to any home or a thoughtful, meaningful gift.
Are Handpoured Scented Candles Eco-friendly?
More often than not, hand crafted candles are more eco-friendly compared to mass-produced ones, especially when they are made from natural materials. Here's why:
- Use Of Natural Waxes: Many hand crafted candles are made from natural waxes like soy, coconut, or beeswax. These are renewable resources and biodegradable, making them a more sustainable choice than paraffin wax, which is derived from petroleum.
- High Quality Fragrances: Hand poured soy candles often use natural fragrances from essential oils or high quality phthalate free fragrance oils.
- Eco-friendly Wicks: Some handcrafted candles use organic cotton braided wicks or wooden wicks, which are more environmentally friendly than metal-core wicks.
- Longer Burn Time: Due to the quality of the wax used, hand poured soy candles often burn longer than factory-made ones, offering more value and reducing waste.
However, it's important to note that not all handpoured candles are eco-friendly. The environmental impact depends on the specific materials and methods used by each candle maker. It's always a good idea to check the product details or ask the manufacturer if you're unsure.
Do Hand Poured Soy Candles Produce Smoke Or Soot?
These candles, like any other candles, can produce soot or smoke, but the amount and intensity largely depend on the materials used and how they are burned.
Candles made from natural waxes like soy, beeswax, or coconut waxes tend to produce less soot than those made from paraffin wax. Coconut Soy wax, in particular, is often touted as a cleaner-burning alternative because it generally creates no soot when burned correctly. However, if coconut or soy candle is producing excessive black smoke, it might be due to issues like an overly large wick pulling up more fuel than it can completely burn.
The wick's size and type also play a significant role in soot production. If the wick is too long or not the right design for the specific wax and fragrance oil combination, it can result in sooting.
Furthermore, any candle, even those made from natural waxes, will soot if the flame is disturbed. To avoid this, it's recommended to burn candles in a well-ventilated room, away from drafts, vents, or strong air currents.
Scented candles can also be a source of soot, particularly if the fragrance oils haven't been properly incorporated or if they're used in excessive amounts. However, quality artisan candles, made with attention to detail and rigorous testing, should burn down cleanly and completely with minimal soot or smoke.
What Safety Measures Should Be Taken When Burning A Candle That Was Poured By Hand?
When burning a hand-poured soy candle, it's important to adhere to the following safety measures:
- Burn within sight: Never leave a burning candle unattended. Always extinguish the flame if you're leaving the room or going to sleep.
- Place on a heat-resistant surface: Candles should be placed on a level, heat-resistant surface to prevent them from tipping over or damaging the underlying surface.
- Keep away from flammable objects: Make sure there are no materials that can catch fire near your candle. This includes curtains, books, paper, or any other flammable materials.
- Avoid drafts: Drafts can cause candles to burn unevenly and can also increase the risk of fire. Keep your burning candle away from open windows, vents, and fans.
- Keep out of reach of children and pets: Place your candle where children and pets cannot reach or knock them over.
- Trim the wick: If smoking occurs, safely extinguish the candle, trim the wick, remove trimmings and then relight. This helps ensure a cleaner burn and prevents the flame from becoming too large.
- Don't touch or move a burning candle: Never touch or move a candle while it is burning or the wax is liquefied. The container can get hot and may cause burns.
- Discontinue use when only 1/2" of wax remains: This prevents the bottom of the container from getting too hot, which could potentially cause a fire or damage the surface underneath.
What Is The Lead Time For Handpoured Candle Orders?
For handpoured candle orders, the lead time is typically two business days before shipping. This allows enough time for the us to carefully prepare, package, and ensure the quality of each individual order.
However, during peak seasons or periods of high demand, this lead time might be extended. Therefore, it's always a good idea to place your orders well in advance, especially if you're purchasing gifts for holidays or special occasions.
Please keep in mind that the delivery date will also depend on the shipping option you select and the courier's schedule.
Are Your Handpoured Soy Candles Vegan And Cruelty-Free?
Yes, our candles are both vegan and cruelty-free.
We use a blend of coconut and soy wax, which is a plant-based, sustainable, and renewable resource.
Our wicks are made from wood, and we carefully select high-quality fragrance oils that are phthalate-free.
This means our candles do not involve the use of any animal products or by-products in their production, and no animals were harmed or tested on during their creation, making them a suitable choice for those following a vegan lifestyle or anyone concerned about animal welfare.